Shedding My Hide...




Shedding My Hide...




08 November 2010

Bariatrics

In my job, I see a lot of things... a lot of trauma, crisis, illness, injury, pain, suffering... each of body, mind and soul... It can be emotionally and physically draining at times.  It can also be rewarding and life-giving!  My greatest joy recently has been to be in the room with a kidney recipient as they are being given the news that the kidney is a match and the life they have been praying for is just a surgery away. 
We also have a bariatric unit, and a program for bariatric surgery.  Working with this population... MY population has made me more and more aware of how incredibly important it is to get myself healthy and to get my weight under control.  I have been blessed that even with my obesity, my blood pressure and cholesterol and other weight related issued have been unaffected... so far... but ultimately that is all the more reason to get control of it now, before it's too late.  I don't ever want to be confined to a bed because I have gotten so heavy I can't get up.  I don't want to have to risk my life on an operating table because surgery is my only option - and my life depends on it.  I don't want to give up on myself or my body or remain complacent, as I was for so long.  I want to physically be able to do anything my heart desires.  I want to be the me that I deserve and that my loved ones deserve. 
Sometimes sitting in other people's darkness can provide the reminders of why I am pushing through a battle that seems impossible to overcome. 
Weigh-In tomorrow!  Send me skinny thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I am touched by this one - each week is so meaningful and gives me joy! I love you and am so proud of you and have so much hope for you! I am sending you thoughts of thin and health! Your Mamma

    ReplyDelete